Spirometry training is central to the diagnosis and management of chronic lung diseases such as Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). However, access to affordable spirometry is very limited in most low income countries. Some of the limiting factors include lack of spirometers, spirometry consumables and the lack of training for health care workers to acquire spirometry skills and interpretation of spirometry results.
To respond to this challenge, the Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI) has embarked on a number of projects to try and bridge the gap of access to quality spirometry and training health care workers in the skill of spirometry.
Spirometry Trainings: The Institute has organized a number of Spirometry training courses in collaboration with her international partners.
The Spirometry 360 training course was organized by Makerere University Lung Institute in collaboration with the University of Washington, USA. The training targeted health care workers across the country involved in the care of patients with chronic lung diseases like asthma and COPD. The objective of the training was to increase the use of spirometry as a diagnostic tool for asthma and COPD.
25 medical workers of different caliber across the country successfully completed the Spirometry 360 training course under direct supervision from the University of Washington, USA. The trained medical workers came from Hoima, Gulu, Arua, Mbale and Mbarara Regional Referral hospitals, Masindi district hospital, Nakaseke hospital in Luwero District and Mulago National Referral hospital.
- In collaboration with the Pan African Thoracic Society (PATS), and the European Respiratory Society (ERS), the MLI conducted another Spirometry training. A total of 20 trainees were trained and ERS certificates of competence in spirometry awarded.
Access to spirometry
The Institute has set up a number of spirometry labs with affordable spirometry across the country as follows;
- Lung Institute Clinic, Mulago Hospital Complex, Kampala
- Kiruddu Hospital, Kampala
- Mbale Regional Referral Hospital
- Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital
- Hoima Regional Referral Hospital
- Arua Regional Referral Hospital
- Gulu Regional Referral Hospital
- Masindi District Hospital